December 1, 2019
January 18 – February 29, 2020
Nave Gallery, 155 Powder House Blvd, Somerville, MA
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION:
This show is a celebration of artists who teach grades K-12. We often spend so much time and energy motivating and helping our students create, that we risk neglecting our own craft. Our jobs require us to assume various roles–nurturer, parent, and coach–and achieve a myriad of goals–to inspire, teach technique and regulate students of varying emotional, social, and developmental levels. We do all of this because it is important work, but in our field, teaching others often overshadows our own artistic development. This show is a reminder to ourselves and to others that the reason we teach is because we value the creative process. In order to support our students we must devote time to our own artistic practice. Our teaching feeds our art making and our art making feeds our teaching. This symbiotic relationship allows us to lead by example and helps us seek the difficult balance between giving to others through teaching and giving to our own work as artists.
HOW TO APPLY:
– There is a $15 entry fee, payable to the Nave Gallery through Paypal here. Please include “Those Who Can, Teach” in the memo
– Please apply via the following form: HTTPS://TINYURL.COM/Y3DTT9T9
– Follow requirements listed below
– Exhibition is open to 2d & 3d art
– Artists may submit up to 3 works for consideration
– Submitting artists must currently teach 50% to full-time in public school grades K-12.
– No restrictions for date work was created, as long as it was made while teaching.
– Accompanying artist statement must address how teaching and art making impact each other in the artist’s life.
– If selected, artwork must be delivered in person and ready to install on January 10th between 4 – 8 pm or January 11th, between 10am and 2pm
– Artwork must fit through a standard 32” door (or be able to be broken down to fit)
– The Nave Gallery will retain a 30% commission for work sold
– The Nave Gallery is run by volunteers and while it is not a firm requirement of the show it is encouraged and deeply appreciated if your work is selected if you can sign up to gallery sit for at least one 2 hour shift on the weekends which the show is open for.
– There is a $15 submission fee per artist, payable through Paypal (http://navegallery.org/wp/donate/) Please include “Those Who Can, Teach” in the note field
• Deadline for entries: December 1, 2019
• Notification: December 15, 2019
• Artwork drop off/Installation: January 10, 2020 4 – 8pm and January 11, 2020 10am – 2pm
• Exhibition dates: January 18 – February 29, 2020
• Artists Reception: January TBD
ABOUT THE CURATORS: