Saturday, March 24, 2018
May 4, 2018- June 17, 2018
Saturday, March 19; 3:00 pm-5:00 pm
The Nave Gallery seeks submissions using botanical imagery for its upcoming show, Secret Gardens. This show will open the weekend of Somerville Open Studios, one of the Boston area’s largest open studios event.
Secret Gardens seeks to revel in the beauty and wonder of botany, but also explore how botanical imagery can symbolize ideas, attributes, morality lessons and more. We think of sexuality, fertility and feminine power when looking at O’Keefe’s flower paintings; conversely, of death, vice and virtue in Bosch’s The Garden of Earthly Delights. In literature, the garden motif is often used. Gardens are places representing wonder and innocence (Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland) that can quickly turn to a place of sorrow with a single misstep (Garden of Eden). They are places where secrets are buried and forbidden romantic liaisons take place. They are sources of nourishment—both literal and figurative—where life can end and, yet, rejuvenation begins (The Secret Garden).
Work submitted to Secret Gardens can range from technically accurate botanical art to interpretations of what could lie in a secret garden. All mediums will be accepted, and installations are encouraged. However, if you are considering submitting artwork that includes live vegetation and requires a degree of sunlight and water, please note that the gallery is only open on Saturdays and Sundays.If you are local to the area, access to the gallery during the week can be arranged.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WORK:
– There is a $15 submission fee per artist, payable through Paypal. Paypal is available here. Please include “Secret Gardens” in the note field
– A maximum of three pieces may be entered for consideration
– Complete the online submission form at https://goo.gl/forms/9sXqdIMY0JtpZM9L2
If you have trouble filling out the form or uploading images, please contact email@example.com.
– Exhibition is open to 2D and 3D artwork. Installation work will be considered, please specify in the submission form how it will be installed
– If selected, artwork must be delivered and ready to install between April 21-26
– Artists are responsible for all costs associated with shipping work to and from the gallery
– Artwork must fit through a standard 32” door (or be able to be broken down to fit)
– The Nave Gallery will retain a 30% commission for work sold
• Deadline for entries: Saturday, March 24, 2018
• Notification: Monday, April 2, 2018
• Artwork drop off/Installation: April 21-26 (Exact dates and time TBD)
• Exhibition dates: May 4, 2018- June 17, 2018
• Artists Reception: Saturday, May 19; 3:00 PM-5:00 PM
ABOUT THE CURATOR:
Tori Costa is a longtime Nave Gallery volunteer and serves on the board of the Somerville Arts Council. She has curated Bite: Food as Art, Branded: Art of the Beer Label, The Knit Art House in Crochetville, and Threads Bared. She also coordinates Wrap Around, the gallery’s annual fundraiser for the Somerille Homeless Coalition.