November 7-28, 2015
Nave Gallery, 155 Powder House Blvd, Somerville, MA
Yosra Emamizadeh, Vanessa Marcoux, and Cory Munro Shea
Following in the footsteps of women’s rights leaders, activists, and makers, today’s female artists are reclaiming feminism, reclaiming domesticity, and reclaiming their role as makers and creators. Through art, women are reclaiming their powerful place in society.
The Nave Gallery in Somerville, MA, invites female artists who have been making work professionally or as a student for less than 10 years to submit their work to Reclamation, an exhibition that surveys the work of the emerging talent of women artists in New England. The exhibition examines the themes, narratives and perspectives that make artwork by women unique and powerful.
– 2-D and 3-D work in all mediums as well as small mixed media installations will be considered
– Artists considered for the show must be female, living in New England, and making work professionally or as a student for less than 10 years
– A maximum of 3 pieces may be entered for consideration
– Submissions will be accepted through August 1, 2015. Artists will be notified via email by September 1, 2015 if their work has been accepted
– Artist are responsible for cost of shipping work to and from the gallery
– The Nave Gallery will retain a 30% commission for work sold
– Accepted artists are responsible for the framing and presentation of their work. All wall mounted work must be wired for hanging. Pedestals for 3-D work will be provided
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WORK:
– Please send up to three artwork submissions as .jpg files to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Each .jpg should be 1200 pixels in the long dimension and named as “NAME_#.jpg” where # is the submission number and NAME is your last name. Example: Kahlo_1.jpg, Kahlo_2.jpg etc.
– Include an image list with your jpeg submission email, indicating submission number, title, dimensions, media, and year, as well as a brief artist bio and statement. Please be sure to note in your bio or statement that you meet the curators requirements for an ‘emerging artist’
-Indicate how you heard about the call
-There is a $15 entry fee, payable to the Nave Gallery through Paypal here. Please include “RECLAMATION” in the memo.
– Accepted pieces should be ready to deliver and ready to install (i.e. framed, wired, etc) and delivered to the Nave Gallery located in Teele Square (155 Powder House Blvd, Somerville, MA) late October 2015
– The curators reserve the right to photograph accepted works for publicity and educational purposes
– The curators may use images of your work to promote the show, in print, publication, or on social media
Deadline for entry: August 1, 2015
Notification: September 1, 2015
Exhibition dates: November 7 – 28, 2015
Opening reception: November 14, 6-8pm
Artist talk: November 28, 3-6pm
ABOUT THE CURATORS:
Yosra Emamizadeh recently earned a Master’s degree in museum studies from the Harvard Extension School. She studied classical art at the Angel Academy of Art in Florence, Italy. She participated in several group exhibitions, and in 2014 coordinated the New Members Show at the Cambridge Art Association.
Vanessa Marcoux holds a BFA in photography from the Art Institute of Boston at Lesley University and is currently completing a master’s degree in museum studies at the Harvard Extension School. She has coordinated exhibitions at numerous galleries and arts organizations throughout New England and the Southwest, including the 2013 show at the Nave Gallery, You Are Here: Maps and Art.
Cory Munro Shea is a working artist from Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her artwork has appeared in several galleries in the New England area. Shea is currently the assistant director of the Cambridge Art Association, a non profit visual arts gallery and organization, and is enrolled in Boston University’s Art Administration program. She is expected to graduate with her master’s in 2016.