Photo by Susan Berstler; image of artist Nora Valdez’s Immigration Nation, a collaboration with MIRA Coalition at the 2019 HONK! Festival activist artmaking area.
Saturday, August 10 , 2019
October 19 – Dec. 14, 2019
Nave Gallery, 155 Powder House Blvd, Somerville, MA
Gabriel Sosa, an artist, linguist, curator, and educator committed to social justice.
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION:
The Nave Gallery, in partnership with the Clarendon Hill Presbyterian Church, invites artists to participate in the curated exhibition Crossing the Line: Refugees in Search of Sanctuary.
This call asks artists to share work created in response to today’s global refugee and immigrant crises, the greatest since the end of World War II. Crossing the Line: In Search of Sanctuary seeks art that explores stories behind the millions of displaced persons on either a macro or micro level. Work may be built upon representations of the past, images of the present, or the journeys in between.
All mediums will be considered, including installation and performance art.
Open to local, national, and international artists.
HOW TO APPLY:
– There is a $15 entry fee, payable to the Nave Gallery through Paypal here. Please include “Sanctuary” in the memo
– Please send up to three artwork submissions as .jpg files to email@example.com
– Each .jpg should be 1200 pixels in the long dimension and named as “NAME_#.jpg” where # is the submission number and NAME is your last name. Example: Kahlo_1.jpg, Kahlo_2.jpg etc.
– Include an image list with your jpeg submission email, indicating submission number, title, dimensions, media, and year, as well as a brief artist bio and statement
– Indicate how you heard about the call
– Exhibition is open to 2D and 3D artwork. Installation work will be considered, please specify in the submission form how it will be installed
– If selected, artwork must be delivered and ready to install between September 15-Oct. 1
– Artists are responsible for all costs associated with shipping work to and from the gallery
– Artwork must fit through a standard 32” door (or be able to be broken down to fit)
– The Nave Gallery will retain a 30% commission on art sold to be donated to the Somerville Welcome Project
LEARN TO TALK SERIES:
Once a year, the Nave Gallery collaborates with the Clarendon Hill Presbyterian Church (CHPC) to create a social justice gallery show, underscoring the assertion that art is a vehicle through which conversations on social change can be held, compelling people to action.
This exhibition will be part of the Learn to Talk Social Justice Series and will include additional programming led by the CHPC. These events are designed to further highlight issues tied to themes of refuge and sanctuary.
• Deadline for entries: Saturday, August 10, 2019
• Notification: TBA
• Artwork drop off/Installation: Monday, September 30, 2019
• Exhibition dates: October 19 – Dec. 14, 2019
• Artists Reception: Saturday October 19, 2019 4:00 – 6:00 PM
ABOUT THE JUROR:
Gabriel Sosa is an artist, linguist, curator, and researcher based in Boston, Massachusetts. Born and raised in Miami, Florida, he is a graduate of New World School of the Arts, Boston University, and the School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts University. Using various media including drawing, video, sound, and installation, he interrogates his experiences as a court interpreter and a Cuban-American in an exploration of language, translation, memory, and the synthesis of fact and fiction.