Image above: Midnight From the Attic, Joshua Sariñana
Our world shrunk during COVID. Like others whose work or schooling moved to their living spaces, many artists turned their focus inward. Some, fearing possible contamination of shared studio spaces or public transportation, moved their creative practice into their homes as well. It was a time of reflection. Relationships between interior and exterior shifted. New perspectives affected artist’s work and lifestyle.
Artwork in this exhibition reflects on the following themes:
– Inside/Out: How did views of the outside world change?
– Support: What new bonds were created? What was isolation like?
– Home: How was your art impacted by your extended stay at home?
– Emotion: Did elements of anxiety, anger, and/or fear creep into new work created at home?
– Safety: Suring these moments of isolation and emotional upheaval, where did you feel safe?
– Sanctuary: Is this a place? A person? An emotional state?
Susan Berstler, Nave Gallery and Iaritza Menjivar, Somerville Arts Council
Nave Gallery (Teele Square), 155 Powder House Blvd, Somerville, MA
Sunday, February 27, 2020; 3:00 pm-5:00 pm
Date is subject to change; please continue to check the website or Facebook event page for updates.
No food or drink
January 30, 2022 – March 5, 2022
Saturdays and Sundays, 1:00 pm-5:00 pm
Masks are required
Admission: Free and open to the public
Accessibility: No wheelchair access
Dennis RedMoon Darkeem
Nancy Hall Brooks
Wonderland Spectacle Co. (Greg Cook, Kari Percival, Ulysses)