November 29, 2021
January 8, 2022 – February 28, 2022
Nave Gallery, 155 Powder House Blvd, Somerville, MA
Susan Berstler, Nave Gallery and Iaritza Menjivar, Somerville Arts Council
ABOUT THE EXHIBITION:
Our world shrunk during COVID. Like others whose work or schooling moved to their living spaces, many artists turned their focus inward. Some, fearing possible contamination of shared studio spaces or public transportation, moved their creative practice into their homes as well. It was a time of reflection. Relationships between interior and exterior shifted. Did this new perspective affect your work?
This call seeks image-based art that addresses one or more of the elements below:
– Inside/Out – how did your view of the outside world change? Is this reflected in your art?
– Support – were new bonds created between members of your “pod”? Or were you isolated?
– Home – was your art impacted by your extended stay at home?
– Emotion – did elements of anxiety, anger, and/or fear creep into new work created at home?
– Safety – during these moments of isolation and emotional upheaval, where did you feel safe?
– Sanctuary – is this a place? a person? an emotional state?
HOW TO APPLY:
– Please apply via this form
– Follow requirements listed below
– No entry fee
– Open to all work created in following mediums: photography, video and/or immersive photography or video i.e. virtual reality
– Artists may submit up to 3 works for consideration
– We are looking for work created since March 2020
– Must submit an accompanying artist statement
– If selected, artwork must be delivered in person and ready to install on December 10th or 12th to the Nave Gallery, 155 Powder House Blvd, Somerville, MA 02144
– The Nave Gallery will retain a 30% commission for work sold
– There is no fee, however, the Nave Gallery is run by volunteers and while it is not a firm requirement of the show it is encouraged and deeply appreciated if your work is selected if you can sign up to gallery sit for at least one 2-hour shift on the weekends which the show is open for
• Deadline for entries: November 29, 2021
• Informed by: December 3, 2021
• Artwork drop off/Installation: December 10 + 12, 2021; 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm
• Exhibition dates: January 8, 2022 – February 28, 2022
• Artists Reception: January TBD