September 1, 2018
November 2018 (Exact dates TBD)
Melissa Chaney, Amanda Kilton, Elizabeth Menges
This show is a celebration of artists who teach grades K-12. We often spend so much time and energy motivating and helping our students create, that we risk neglecting our own craft. Our jobs require us to assume various roles–nurturer, parent, and coach–and achieve a myriad of goals–to inspire, teach technique and regulate students of varying emotional, social, and developmental levels. We do all of this because it is important work, but in our field, teaching others often overshadows our own artistic development. This show is a reminder to ourselves and to others that the reason we teach is because we value the creative process. In order to support our students we must devote time to our own artistic practice. Our teaching feeds our art making and our art making feeds our teaching. This symbiotic relationship allows us to lead by example and helps us seek the difficult balance between giving to others through teaching and giving to our own work as artists.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR WORK:
– There is a $15 submission fee per artist, payable through Paypal. Paypal is available here. Please include “Those Who Can, Teach” in the note field
– A maximum of three pieces may be entered for consideration
– Complete the online submission form at https://tinyurl.com/yby7dl3b
If you have trouble filling out the form or uploading images, please contact email@example.com.
– Exhibition is open to 2d & 3d art
– Submitting artists must currently teach 50% to full time in public school grades K-12
– No restrictions for date work was created, as long as it was made while teaching
– Accompanying artist statement must address how teaching and art making impact each other in the artist’s life
– If selected, artwork must be delivered in person and ready to install in November (exact date TBD)
– Artwork must fit through a standard 32” door (or be able to be broken down to fit)
– The Nave Gallery will retain a 30% commission for work sold
• Deadline for entries: September 1, 2018
• Notification: October 1, 2018
• Artwork drop off/Installation: November 2018 (exact date TBD)
• Exhibition dates: TBD
• Artists Reception: TBD
ABOUT THE CURATOR:
Melissa Chaney, Amanda Kilton, and Elizabeth Menges are artists and teachers in Cambridge Public Schools.